Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I need a little help!
Alrighty friends I have a huge problem. I didn't think I would have to address this at 21 months. Ashlynn got mad today and decided that she was going to climb out of her crib. Her crib is a Jardine crib that is very tall and very deep and her long legs can apparently reach to get out. I caught her as she was straddling the side rails about to topple out. I put her back in her crib, explained that she could get hurt etc. She attempted this feat 4 times in a row today. Ahhh. So, I decided to put her in the pack and play while I took a shower and to my dismay she climbed out of that too. Where did this idea come from??? Anyway I don't know what to do. I don't want her to fall 4 feet from the top of her crib and break a leg or something. She has never slept in a regular bed, refuses to lay in one. I think our crib converts to a toddler bed. What did you all do when your kiddos reached the point of climbing out of the crib. Toddler bed? Big bed? Soft things to break a fall from crib?? Yikes HELP!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
Get the thing that attaches to the top of a crib that looks like a tent
Oh no! I haven't experienced this yet but am dreading when it happens. I'll definitely have to see what pointers you get so I can know what to do too.
Sorry I don't know what to tell you, but when I have kids, I'll call you see what you ended up doing:) With the new baby aren't you going to have to move her out of the crib anyway and into a big girl bed, maybe now is the time.
We had to put a crib tent on Connor's crib when he was like 18 months old. And then we had to rig a lock on the zipper with a hair tie because he would wiggle it open from the inside and climb out. Once the zipper had been tied shut, it worked like a charm though! FYI, I bought my tent on eBay--there are lots of them on there. Good luck!
Oh man, I have been lucky that my kids have never really done that too much. As soon as Keira started to climb like that, it was time for her to move out of the crib!
My kids are so close together that right around 22 months, they were out of the crib, because another baby was on the way! We just put a twin size mattress on the floor and Jacey was able to climb on that by herself. Gradually we added the box spring. When we got Keira out of the crib, she just went right from the crib to the bottom bunk of the bed. I put up blanket barriers of course, and she did fine. Make a big deal about how big of a girl Ashlynn is, and get her excited about a bigger bed. Because the little dude in your belly is going to be taken over that crib before you know it. I didn't want my kids to get mad that their bed (crib) was being taken over, so I always switched them to a bed a couple months before the baby was born. I've never done a toddler bed, but some people really like them.
Good luck!
When Rohne did this, I put things on the floor to break his fall for awhile, but realized that the worst danger, was his legs getting caught in the crib while climbing out. My advice is if you are not ready to move her to a big bed, just keep doing what your'e doing. When she gets out, just tell her no, put her back in, and close the door. This worked for Rohne, and he stopped getting out so often. Of course, some nights were worse than others. We also got those plastic things to put over the doorkobs to keep them from opening the door, and if she can't get out, she might crash on the floor, which is okay, and eventually she will get the picture. Good luck!! I've been there.
we have not had that problem yet....good luck. I have heard the tents work, but be careful if its not tight enough or put on there right they can get tangled and choke.... (scary) anyway, good luck hope you find something that works for you.
I just let him climb out and learn consequences if he got hurt.
Gave him books to look at during "nap" time and that worked to keep him in and fall asleep.
And then we went to grandma's house and when we came back, there was a toddler bed for him! He took to it wonderfully!
Just a few ideas from our house!
I was prego with Devin before Carter started to climb out of the crib but I knew I needed to get him out to avoid conflict of "my crib" and that the baby has taken everything away.
I was drastic with Carter because there is no middle ground with him. once I decide he was going to be in a bed I took the crib apart and hide it our of sight and explained to him that this was his bed. I tried to get sheet and things he would like and also be familiar to him. I was actually surprised because it turned out to not be ad hard as I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be a battle for weeks but it only took a couple of days.
I don't know every kid is different so good luck to you! :)
My friend is a firm believer in the crib tents. She loves them. I teased her that is was child abuse for a while, but I think I will invest in one later. If you need the web site I can get it for you. I don't think they are that expensive.
Post a Comment