Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Grandma Lorna




My last visit with my grandma was on December 3, 2011. We had a wonderful time. I took Grandma to lunch at her favorite restaurant the El Torito in Henderson. We ate cheese enchiladas. She told me over and over how proud she is of Barry and I, how much she loves us, and how much she adores Ashlynn and Hudson. We talked a lot about her life and she reflected on friends and family that had already passed on. It was a nice visit. As I left her house she stood in the doorway waving. She was smiling and happy. I called Barry and told him that I believed that that may be the last time I saw my Grandma in this life. He asked why and I said she just seemed so content, and talked so much about those who had already gone, and she just kept expressing her love to me. I was right. My Grandma passed away on January 16, 2012. She was 86 years old. She was at her doctor's office for a routine visit the nurse was giving her a mini mental test. When the nurse looked up grandma's eyes were closed. The doctor immediately came in the room, her pulse was weak. They called 911 and in 4 minutes she was in the ER. She passed away, quickly and peacefully. I am happy that my grandma is at peace. I am happy that she gets to be with the family and friends she so longingly talked about that December day. I am happy that because of the covenants that I have made and strive to keep that I can see her again someday. But there is also that part of me that is just plain, old stinking sad.

No comments: